New to User Experience
Usability Week Courses
Usability Week offers courses about a broad range of web and application design topics. Most courses are also available as in-house training. Each course counts toward UX Certification.
Be an effective UX professional: Know the lingo and sell the process
- Understand the purpose and roles of UX professionals throughout a project lifecycle
- Know when to apply which research methods and how to use the data to improve design
- Assess your organization’s commitment to UX
- Learn tips for promoting UX as a competitive advantage
Learn how to effectively communicate UX design ideas and research findings to managers, collaborators, and other stakeholders.
- Learn how to effectively document and clearly communicate your design and research findings to all stakeholders, including: managers, clients, and developers.
- Improve key deliverables such as: concept models, wireframes and prototypes, user journeys, flowcharts, personas, presentations, and usability reports.
Web content for the way your audience thinks and behaves
- How people read online based on usability testing and eyetracking research
- Optimize content for users, search engines, and accessibility devices
- Write concise, benefits-driven copy to increase conversion
- Increase usability by following our web writing guidelines
Feeling trapped by usability problems in your current UI? Try 29 ways of generating UI improvements that apply to most UX challenges.
- Systematically ideate redesign options with a checklist of proven ways to make things easier, more organized, and visually-appealing
- Learn widely-applicable design tools, such as chunking, layering, constraining user actions, the flexibility-usability tradeoff, and the 5 primary methods of organizing content
- Not all of these 29 solution-drivers will work for your specific problem, but at least one should spark the insight you need for a better design
Do-it-yourself user tests: Plan, conduct, and analyze your own studies, using in-person, remote, or online methods
- Learn how to set up and conduct your own usability studies so you can do them anytime, anywhere
- Fine-tune your faciliation skills with expert guidance
- Take home sample study plans and research materials to help you conduct your own studies
UX pioneer Bruce "Tog" Tognazzini teaches principles, processes, and techniques of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI).
- Get the confidence gained from having a solid foundation in every aspect of HCI whether you’re just arriving from graphic design, psychology, or another entry discipline, or started picking up HCI some time ago along the way.
- Achieve a deep understanding of the entire life-cycle of design by actually experiencing it through five in-depth hands-on exercises
- Practice the methodology Tog helped develop at Apple, still in use there today, that results in products that are smooth, exciting, and just simply work.
- Get the knowledge you need of information theory, human psychology, physiology and other aspects of HCI science, you’ll be prepared to make intelligent, informed, and effective design decisions
- Learn the trick to “selling” your designs with a minimal amount of stress and effort so you can spend your time doing the work you love. (Managers: This means your designer will be a lot more productive.)
Usability techniques and strategies to maximize your impact when you are the sole UX specialist on your project or in your organization
- Learn how to structure your user-centered design research in a cost-effective way
- Review more than 15 research methods that can be run quickly and inexpensively
- Learn how to prioritize your time to maximize your value to the company instead of being spread too thin
- Determine how to communicate and sell your results in your organization to get future funding
Successfully turn user data into user interfaces. Learn how to create, maintain and utilize personas throughout the UX design process.
- How to turn complex user data into effective user personas
- Time-tested techniques for embedding them into your design process
Designing successful web pages by identifying objectives and applying the right design principles to support them.
- Explore the key design considerations that collectively create and effective web page for you and your customers
- Apply layout-related design principles to indicate priority of content, and lead users through the web page effectively
- Ensure visuals meet brand expectations and elicit appropriate emotional responses
- Understand how particular page elements influence user behavior
- Discuss common page types and what design decisions support the objectives for such pages